Thursday, October 18, 2007

Rest in Peace



I had to do the hardest thing I have ever had to do today. Rocky bit my mother who was visiting and I had to take him to the vet today and put him to sleep. It was an unprovoked bite, and with all his other neurotic fearful behavior we had to make the decision on the vet's advice that rehabilitation was unlikely to work in his case. I know I made the right choice, but I am just heartbroken about it. The worst part was having to have my son Max say goodbye. This summer Max overcame his fear of dogs and made friends with my mom's dog, and when we came home he bonded with Rocky. It broke my heart to watch him hug him goodbye. I am having him cremated and will be keeping his ashes and some fur the thoughtful vet tech saved for me. I was with him all the way to the end and he passed peacefully into the great reward. Happy hunting Rocky!

No comments: