Thursday, March 13, 2008

My latest challenge

It has been awile since my lsst post. I have spent this term battling a mystery itchy rash that progressively got worse and went from tiny itchy spots to finally last weekend huge fluid filled blisters all over my forearms.
Here is what my arms look like





I have been to my regular Dr, the dermatoligist 3 times and finally monday we have a tentitive diagnosis of Bullous Pemphigoid. We have done 3 biopsies and one is going to OHSU to determine exactly which type of pemphigoid I have. Either Bullous Pemphigoid or Cicatricial Pemphigoid. I really hope it's only Bullous because Cicatricial Pemphigoid can lead to blindness.

Detailed information about this rare autoimmune disease is rather hard to find, but I did come accross the International Pemphigus and Pemphigoid Foundation online and joined.

International Pemphigus and Pemphigoid Foundation

I am hopeful that the treatment my Dr has me on will work. Right now I am on 80 mg Prednisone, 2 Tetrycycline, 4 eye drops, Zyrtec, Benedryl, B vitamins, and a sleep med that reduces itching so I can sleep.

I am still enrolled in classes and have a final exam next friday. I am getting a B right now in the class, so I need an A on the final. Obviously though my health takes 1st priority.

In addition to my dermatologist and opthamologist I will be seeing an acupuncturist next week and my allergist. I am going to stop eating all the foods I tested allergic to on my skin scratch test just in case. Previously my allergist said they act differently in the digestive system but I think it couldn't hurt to try. When I can get off the meds I'll have them run a full blood workup on my food allergies.

I also decided we are ripping up the carpet in my bedroom and the hallway and putting Pergo in there to cut down on the airborn allergins to give my body a little extra help. That was already something I needed to do to help me control my Asthma. I also ordered a hospital grade air purifier for that room. Eventually I'll get one for the kids bedrooms as well.

Hopefully between it all we can get this controlled quickly so I can get life back to normal.

I am very thankful I can still drive and handle my own self care.

I have kept up pretty good spirits through this. My husband and kids are all doing a great job of helping me and doing what needs to be done. It's been good for them to learn to pitch in. I am very proud of them!

No comments: